(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
1 head cauliflower & 1 head broccoli
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup finely grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Remove the leaves and thick core from the cauliflower and broccoli, coarsely chop.
– Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic.
– Cook until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
– Add the cauliflower, broccoli, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and
cook until the cauliflower and broccoli is very soft and falling apart, about 15 minutes.
– Remove from heat and blend in small batches in a blender or food processer and return it to the pot.
Add the Parmesan and stir until smooth.
– Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.